Since opening in 1992, as part of the Artist in Residence Program, the Institute of Ceramic Studies has invited over 260 Guest Artists from Japan and abroad. In recent years we have invited more and more young artists to work here, along with leading veteran artists.
In view of this trend, in 2010 we will expand our program to include one Guest Artist accepted from public applications.
※We have finish our recruitment of the Guest Artists for the 2019 fiscal year(April 2019~March 2020).
1. Number of the Guest Artists
Artists who are over 20 years old
3. Staying Period
April 1st, 2020 ~ March 31st, 2021
※Artists who can stay over 1 month to 1 year
The office and dormitories are closed for approximately one week around the New Year holiday.
4. Application Period
Application period : September 1st, 2019 ~ October 31st, 2019 at 17:00 in Japan time
Notification of the Result : Before December 28th, 2019
5. Application method
Please apply by following the steps from below the link.
If you are planning to apply for both studio artist and guest artist, please apply for both studio artist and guest artist from each link.
The selection of Guest Artists will be conducted by a selection committee that includes outside experts.
7. Other Condition
The Ceramic Cultural Park will pay for one economy class round trip ticket between
the Artist’s nearest airport to Osaka, Japan.
The Ceramic Cultural Park will pay necessary basic materials up to 100,000 JPY.
The Ceramic Cultural Park will pay for firing costs up to 110,000 JPY.
The Artist will be expected to donate two finished works to the Ceramic Cultural Park.
Works to be donated will be determined in consultation with the staff.
(6)Exhibition and Slide Lectures, etc.
The Artist will be expected to have exhibition and conduct lectures, workshops, etc
for the general public.
Domitory : 24,700 yen / one month
Bedding : 3,720 yen / one month
• Usage charges will be revised by the consumption tax increase from October 1st, 2019.
• Expenses will be charged separately when using the air conditioner equipped in the room.
Confirmation e-mail is automatically sent to you, after accepting the application.
You receive it, it finishes to apply.
※If you did not receive confirmation mail, please refer to the [Applicants Guidelines].
Make the selection by the Guest artist selection committee of The Shigaraki Ceramic
3. Notification of Result
We will send a notification of the selection results to artists in writing and e-mail, before December 28th, 2019.
4. Schedule adjustment
As a result of the selection, artists who has been approved as a studio artist can make schedule adjustments with staffs by calling or e-mail.
By studios and accommodation situation, you may necessarily not afford a stay at
the stay period of the first choice.
5. Certificate issued
As soon as the schedule adjustment, it will be issued documents such as “certificate” to artists.
6. Stay start
Artists start to stay by their adjusted schedule.
1. We will make the selection on the basis of the material that you have submited. Please do as much as possible in detail fill.
2. Please fill certainly to the third hope.
3. If you think to apply from outside the web, please contact to the Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park.
◎ If the applicant does not work, consider the following reasons. Check the following, please apply again.
1. Face photo, works images, the capacity of all of the image data, please below 1.5MB.
2. Face photo, work images, PDF files, the file names of all of the data is alphanumeric characters and the hyphen (-), underscore Bar (_), period (.), Please only.
3. There are successive errors due to apply from mobile phones and tablet PC. We ask that you apply from the personal computer.
If you have questions about application, please contact the following.
The Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park, The Institute of Ceramic Studies
2188-7, Chokushi, Shigaraki-cho, Koka-city, Shiga-pref, 529-1804 JAPAN
TEL: +81 748-83-0909
FAX: +81 748-83-1193