At the Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park (SCCP), we conduct an Artist-in-Residence program, providing a creative space for aspiring and accomplished ceramic artists with extensive knowledge and activity records, as well as artists. Since 1992, this Artist-in-Residence program has hosted over 1,500 artists from 55 countries.
Starting from the 2008, we have introduced an open call system for some of our guest artists, providing an opportunity for emerging artists. Here are the details for the recruitment of guest artists for the upcoming 2024.
2. Eligible Age
Applicants must be at least 20 years old at the time of application.
3. Residency Period
During the above-mentioned period, a minimum of 2 months to less than 1 year.
However, if you wish to stay for less than 2 months, please provide your reasons in the ‘Please write down anything else you would like to ask’.
＊Please note that from December 29, 2024, to January 3, 2025, the facility will be closed for the winter break, and during this period, resident artists are required to temporarily vacate SCCP.
4. Application Period
2023/9/1～10/31 (17:00 Japan time)
5. Application Procedure
We are accepting applications online. Please follow the instructions provided via the link below on this page to submit your application. If you plan to apply for both Studio Artist and Guest Artist positions, please submit separate applications through the respective links.
(1)The selection of Guest Artists will be based on the materials you submit. Please provide as much detail as possible.
(2)When indicating your preferred residency period, please specify up to three residency period preferences.
(3)All image files, such as portraits and artwork photos, must be in JPEG format. Please ensure that the file size is below 1.5MB.
(4)For all data, including portraits, artwork photos, PDF files, etc., please use only alphanumeric characters, hyphens (-), underscores (_), and periods (.) in the file names.
(5)Social media account information provided in the application materials will be linked on the SCCP website. If you do not wish for this information to be made public, you can leave it blank or mention it in the ‘Please write down anything else you would like to ask ‘.
6. Terms and Conditions
(1) Funding: For accepted Guest Artist, a maximum 200,000 yen will be funded. The payment will be made after SCCP receives the donated works mentioned in (5) below.
(2) Travel Expenses: Round-trip travel expenses from the accepted Guest Artist to Shigaraki Station will be reimbursed. However, in the case of overseas residents, the most economical round-trip travel expenses from your nearest airport to Shigaraki Station will be reimbursed.
(3) Materials Cost: SCCP will cover the cost of materials required for creating, up to a maximum of 100,000 yen. Any materials cost exceeding this limit will be at the Guest artist’s expense.
(4) Firing Costs: SCCP will cover the cost of kiln facility usage and fuel expenses, up to a maximum of 110,000 yen. Any firing costs exceeding this limit will be at the Guest artist’s expense.
(5) Donation of Works: We kindly request that the Guest artist donate the works and technical information to Shiga Prefecture or the designated administrator. The selection of works for donation will be done through consultation with the SCCP staff. Please note that for large-scale works, we may decline the donation request.
(6) Exhibition of Works: The Guest artist will be expected to give lectures, such as slide lectures or workshops, targeting to the general public. Additionally, there may be opportunities to exhibit your works at SCCP exhibition space during or after your stay.
7. Accommodation Fees (As of April of 2023)
Twin Room: 25,100 yen per month (if preferred)
Single Room: 19,300 yen per month (if preferred)
Bedding Set: 7,254 yen per month (if preferred, subject to change)
Please note that additional charges will apply at the end of each month or upon the conclusion of the stay if the Guest Artist chooses to use the air conditioner provided in the room.
8. Expectations for Guest Artists
As a Guest Artist, we kindly request the following:
9. Prohibited Actions
Studio and Guest are required to fully comply with the following rules:
Upon receiving your application, an automated confirmation email will be promptly dispatched to the applicant. If, for any reason, you do not receive this confirmation email, we kindly ask that you contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The Guest Artist selection process is conducted by a committee comprised of an external selection committee.
3. Notification of Results:
Results of the selection will be conveyed to applicants via email by December 28th, 2023.
Upon approval as a Guest Artist, you will have a meeting with one the staffs at SCCP through email to arrange your schedule. Please be aware that due to studio and accommodation availability, your first-choice residency period may not always be accommodated.
After the completion of your schedule arrangements, vital documents, including the ‘Invitation Notice,’ will be provided.
6.Beginning Your Residency:
Each Guest Artist will start their stay according to the coordinated schedule. To ensure a seamless start, please aim to arrive at SCCP by 4:00 PM on your first day of residency.
If you encounter any inquiries or require clarification during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us at the provided address. Additionally, we welcome inquiries from prospective Guest Artists, including any questions or requests related to studio visits.
The Foundation of Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park
The Institute of Ceramic Studies
2188-7 Chokushi, Shigaraki-cho, Koka City, Shiga 529-1804
Please specify ‘Artist-in-Residence Inquiry’ in the subject line.
Application has closed.